Turning kitchen scraps into good eats - regrow spring onions!

Spring onions in waterI love Pinterest.  I really can't say enough praise for the endless ideas and inspiration it provides.  But I realise a lot of people don't have the time to trawl through endless posts of random, unorganised chaos.  One of the best tips I've gotten off Pinterest is how to regrow things from kitchen scraps.  Stuff that people would normal be thrown away can actually yield endless deliciousness for FREE.

So far I've only experimented with spring onions, as in all honesty I'm out of potting compost/soil at the moment and haven't had a chance to get more in order to plant other things!  But I have read how to re-grow from sprouting garlic, ginger, lemongrass, celery, potatoes and so on.  It's amazing.  Mine don't seem to want to grow as fast as the websites say (they quote 12 days, but I have a theory these are slower because they are 'jumbo' ones), but I do wonder if they might do better in soil - so I might try planting one of them in the future to experiment.  I rarely buy spring onion as it's quite expensive, so it's nice to have a little bit on-hand occasionally for free.  Simply put your used bulbs into water and watch them magically grow!  It's literally as simple as that.  I change the water every few days as it gets a bit mucky, but nothing else.  Their roots will develop and the green part will yield a slow, but constant, growth for you.  Happy eating!

Comments

Popular Posts