Homemade coffee creamer

Today's frugal adventures have been in things that probably aren't that frugal in that I could easily do without them, BUT since I want them, I have found the cheapest way to have them!  Wow, that was probably a grammar fail of a sentence.

Ever since coming across a recipe for homemade flavoured coffee creamer on Pinterest, my tastebuds have been lusting for some Irish cream creamer, similar to the $4 version I tried in the States.  My desire for coffee creamer is showing my American roots, but it's a delicious way to get (much cheaper) flavoured coffees at home.

To make Irish cream coffee creamer completely from scratch, you first have to make your own condensed milk (surprisingly simple and then gives you the option to use sweeteners instead of sugar), then the creamer base, then your own chocolate syrup!  It sounds long and involved, but luckily each of those things is a very short, simple process.  The finished result was tasty and since I used mostly sugar-substitute, a lot healthier than the original. Unfortunately, it's been several months since I tasted the original store-bought Irish cream creamer, so I can't really compare how 'authentic' the outcome is.

On top of that, I needed to bake some snacks (today's was berry muffins) and bread.  Phew!  Luckily, my 3 year old was fairly well behaved and mostly let mummy get on in the kitchen (though he did 'help' with some of it).

I am currently questing for some super-cheap fabric to sew him a hat.  I found a free pattern and it will likely challenge my very nubile (read: non-existent) sewing skills, but I do like a challenge!

Comments

Popular Posts