experiments in the kitchen

Here’s a couple frugal endeavours in the kitchen from this month so far:

1.       Lentil toad in the hole
Lentils are a good, cheap source of iron and other nutrients, so I am trying to incorporate them more in my everyday cooking.  This recipe is a really delicious veggie alternative to traditional toad in the hole and MUCH cheaper than trying to use vegetarian substitute sausages.  Normal sausages are quite cheap (£1 for 20), so this for us is just something a little different to throw some variety in there.

The recipe in the link isn’t my usual super-frugaliness due to the mushrooms (89p at Aldi), but you could very easily substitute those for anything mild-tasting you have to hand.  G & I brainstormed that something like parsnips, swede, squashes, courgette or even potatoes (IF you didn’t serve this with potatoes as a side) would work and cut the cost down to the usual cheapness of normal toad in the hole.  We usually have gravy with our toad in the hole, but agreed this doesn’t even need that.  I served with mashed potatoes & peas.  10/10!


This was a much less successful experiment with a classic wartime recipe.  The recipe calls for a mad amount of lemon peel, which I didn’t have, so instead I just peeled, juiced and chopped a whole lemon into a saucepan, simmered for a bit, then blitzed along with the potatoes, butter & sugar.  I really wanted to like this, I did, but I just can’t.  It’s edible, and we’ll finish off the slices, but I won’t make it again.  G thought it was too lemony, but I think the problem is something else.  The lemoniness doesn’t bother me, but it’s not sweet enough.  However, I’m not comfortable with increasing the sugar beyond what it already is just to make this recipe work – I’d rather just scrap it than make into a dish that’s more than 1/3 sugar!

I don’t often find a frugal recipe I don’t like, so this one threw us a bit! 3/10

Comments

Popular Posts