a light bulb

Just when you think you know all the tricks to getting your bills as low as possible, something pops up that can save you even more.  The funniest thing is, it’s usually something that’s been staring you in the face for a long time!

 

I’ve always heard, and believed, the usual mantra about how premium bank accounts are a rip-off and never given it a second thought.  Then when I was logging in over the weekend, one the ads triggered something in my brain…what a minute, we have mobile phone insurance…we need decent breakdown cover for the upcoming winter…oh!  Unfortunately, my clutzy husband and his expensive taste in phones needs insurance (no lectures please, unfortunately he won’t budge on this one!  And the policies usually pay for themselves as he almost always breaks one eventually…) and I’ve been hemming and hawing over breakdown cover for months (as in, I want it, but it’s expensive enough I haven’t been able to make myself take the plunge).  The premium account offered by my current bank covers both of these and it’s only £3/month more than we currently pay for the insurance alone (I like to think of it as £3/month for breakdown cover, which is beyond a bargain).  Plus it comes with free travel insurance, which could be useful to most people (not so much us as we can’t afford to travel while trying to save for a house deposit).

 

Why on earth didn’t I realise this before?  Just goes to show, sometimes turning a blind eye isn’t always best…as long as you do your research and proper evaluations (i.e., is it suitable for your life?  Someone who didn’t rely on a car and didn’t have an expensive phone wouldn’t find this deal worth it at all!), some of these ‘add-on’ products can be really good value.

 

Comments

Popular Posts